Tuesday, November 15, 2005

foggy specs

i will take cold and sunny over rainy and blowy anyday and last night really proved that. i had my winter coat on, hood up, mittens on, and was all zipped up, just like you do at home to stay warm. BUT, regardless of all this my pants were wet, the wind blew the rain right into my face so i had to take my glasses off rendering me eyesight rather fuzzy, and my mittens were soaking wet. and all this during a 5 minute walk home from the gym.

i have corrected more than a few people in the past days about the difference between the words 'eskimo' and 'inuit.' someone also tried to explain to me what lacrosse was too. i can't blame people's ignorances, especially because no one is immune to the phenomena of ignorance, but it gets tiresome.

i learned another new thing today. perhaps didn't learn it so much as realise it:

i cannot get frustrated over all the talk of theories in my course that all lead me to believe the entire population of the earth is doomed, because in the realm of theories it is our job to analyse and reanalyse and make arguments and pick apart arguments and discuss and discuss and discuss. although i love thinking big thoughts and making my brain wrap itself around a theory, i am a do-er. i don't think that academic study for the sake of academic study is very useful unless you DO something with it. but now is not yet the time and here is not the place. all in good time.

i still think the world is doomed. in a rather hopeful way, if that is possible.

8 comments:

Joy said...

Lara,
Thank god you are not a religious type. I would be compelled to follow you in some type of Heaven's Gate cult in a belief about the end of the world! Okay, but I know what you mean, and I also think there is hope for the world yet.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised to hear you say that this world is doomed!I always thought that if you look for the good and expand on it, you can change the course of anything even something as large as "global danmnation".Sure this world is not headed in the best of directions, but why dwell on that?!We all have small parts to play now, but they will only grow as we open our minds and remember that all our small parts add up to one big difference!!

lu said...

kjk, i am speaking from the position that i have been studying international development for over a month and it has been my job yo dwell on 'that.' and the state of the world is much worse than you ever thought. like i said, i am hopeful.... and realistic.

lu said...

ps - the word 'damnation' is only for use of religious zealots, not what i am talking about here

Anonymous said...

Well I apologize then.My idea of international development, was to not dwell on things, but rather find ways to stop people from dwelling and start doing. No matter how big or small the movement.

Anonymous said...

Wether you use "doomed" or "damnation", it makes no difference. It all comes out more of a pesimists out look on the situation.(jmt)

lu said...

what does jmt mean? great to hear we are engaging in the debate!

Anonymous said...

jmt=just my thoughts
I am also glad that I am able to have a civil debate about this!It is good to hear from you.Class awaits though.Pick this up later.