Tuesday, May 12, 2009

i dream in bollywood

last night i had a feature length (or what felt like feature length) bollywood production in my dream. it all started when a boy and girl had a love match and knew their parents would object. in my subconscious version of traditional indian culture boys get the tips of their third finger chopped off, so this is what happened. it was quite awful at first, but then it healed rather quickly, cutting down on the gruesome factor (and keeping the ratings under 14a).

but then, as a symbol of her solidarity in love with the boy, the girl chopped off her entire hand (which may or may not have grown back in the magic of dreamland, i cannot recall exactly) and then a full cast dance ensued, complete with indian hand movements and colourful saris!

i kid you not.

other elements of my bollywood dream included me and my family at a beach that was raided by members of the boy's family, a mass hysteria and panic of the guests who were at the beach as the boy's mafia-like family took their revenge, and my grandma being stuck under sand during the entire scene. while at this beach, i wanted so badly to get a tan in the hot sun, but couldn't get out of my parka and uggs (which came in handy when the sand turned to snow and the masacred body parts died the snow red - i think i was thinking of the cinematic effect when my brain made the change from beach to tundra when blood was spilled).

there was another dance scene and then the credits rolled (but in my dream, there were no credits, just an alarm clock).

i couldn't even make that up if i tried! i wish other people could see what happens in my dreams so they would understand why i sometimes wake up tired or so that i could share the absurdity with others.

3 comments:

Sara said...

that is the craziest/weirdest thing i have ever heard.

La Cabeza Grande said...

"i wish other people could see what happens in my dreams so they would understand why i sometimes wake up tired or so that i could share the absurdity with others. "

Amen to that, Lu! My dreams are strange, lucid and oh, so real. I admire your ability to remember so much detail.

lu said...

and they seem to be getting more vivid and memorable, although that is not always a good thing!