Sunday, April 02, 2006

just one unit for me today, thanks

i am afraid that i have a cavity. this could become a very troublesome issue when you consider my incredible fear of the dentist. i have an irrational, sometimes incomprehensible, fear of the dentist. which doesn't make much sense because my dentist is one of the nicest people i have ever met. he leaves his own practice every year to treat children in africa and he only keeps his patients in canada so that he can follow his passion and bring his services to other parts of the world. and for that, i don't mind paying for two units of scaling, though i have no idea what a unit even consists of.

none of this, however, makes me any less afraid of the noises, the tools, mean dental hygienists, and the smells involved with stepping foot in a dentist's office. i simply cannot imagine looking into other people's mouths and poking around for a living. i always try and give my teeth a good brush before i go in for my cleanings out of courtesy for the poor souls who have to don the surgical mask and rubber gloves and scrape junk off my enamel.

right now it is a dull ache and could possibly be caused by sinus pressure or an inflamed jaw due to stress. both of these things have happened before and both have made have similar panic attacks about the possibility of a cavity. so here's to hoping that is what is going on this time.

one of the things i have learned in my years is the importance of flossing. i do love the feeling of clean teeth!

No comments: