Tuesday, February 28, 2006

mabel, mabel

i have learned something recently. i like eating (that almost goes without saying these days) but part of what i love about it is when you have the opportunity to share that time with someone and talk about big ideas or just about your day. the part that has become apparent is that not everyone does this or enjoys this. which made me think about why i like it so much and i think it has a lot to do with eating with my family at home.

we aren't overly formal, but we don't allow elbows on the table.
we don't always have fancy meals, but they are always healthy and tastey.
we don't always need to be there, but there is always enough if we all are.
we don't say grace or have to wait til everyone is finished to leave the table, but we talk a lot and keep up to date on everyone's lives.

now that i am away from all of this, i find myself craving it. and when it does happen i really feel at home.

now if i could just get more people to wash and dry dishes the 'right', oops i mean 'my', way.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I have slowly begun to learn that my way is not the only way of doing things. Though it is often frustrating to see something done in a way I consider "wrong" I try to look at it, not as a personal assault, but just different. It's hard, but I see I am not the only one who thinks this way.

... However I did get Breck to realize that the toothpaste dropped in the sink when you brush is much easier to clean out when its fresh, not hardened. I am proud of that.

Anonymous said...

as much as i to miss the family meals, i have found i pleasent calm and sanity in eating alone (with my cat). i truely now enjoy being alone and in my one head. I really miss meals at the Quartermans though!!!!