Thursday, February 09, 2006

very first lent

the canadian dollar is BELOW 2 dollars for a pound, that is absurd and really quite fantastic. seems as though it is 87 cents for an american dollar too. giddy up canadian dollar! maybe this conservative government will do something for me after all. so when do they start changing the cost of books when they print both the american and canadian prices on the covers? cause that must get all out of whack if the dollar continues to rise like it has been.

i am going to see brokeback mountain again this weekend to celebrate this great fiscal news. well maybe not to celebrate, but to see it again and show off my home and native land to some people who have never seen the foothills or rockies. i will remember to stuff my pockets with kleenex (maybe even the canadian flag ones my mom got for me at christmas).

i have made a rather substantial commitment today and i am really solidifying it by writing in online for all to see, but i am quite serious about it so here goes...

i am going to give up chocolate for lent. now i don't know when exactly lent starts or why exactly you should give something up for it if you are catholic (christian too?) but i do know that it lasts 40 days and that i am going to start lent tomorrow and i will not eat chocolate for a whole 40 (long) days. now this is going to be rather difficult because i have seen mini eggs in the shops here and i am dying to find out if they taste the same as at home and if they are the same colours, but i will just have to wait til the end of my own personal lent to find out. i really think it is best as i have developed quite the little chocolate habit and i need to kick it before it gets out of hand.

3 comments:

Heather said...

You are brave. The minute I say that I can't have something, all I want is that specific thing. I'll eat the mini eggs for you!

Anonymous said...

I never thought about the cost of books changing, interesting. We should investigate. And I will definatly say bravo on the chocolate. I ate about a pound of mini eggs last night, but seriously they were only ok!

Joy said...

We were discussing Lent in my Myths of Hate and Evil class the other day. Jesus went into the desert for 40 days and nights, not fasting. But what "we" (Catholics) recognize by fasting is the sacrifice of Jesus giving up his life for us. Interesting huh? Personally I haven't done the Lent thing in so long, but it is always a great test of your own strength to see what you can give up...especially chocolate :) Good luck!
ps. I will also offer to eat some in place of what you are not consuming...