Friday, January 13, 2006

back in the saddle

i have seriously embraced my western roots with that title, but after i thought of it i couldn't resist.

ok canadians, there is an election in ten days, i hope you know where your polling station is, who the candidates in your riding are, and are ready to elect another minority government. and even if you aren't ready for that last part, that is clearly what is going to happen. i got to vote ahead of time with a fancy 3-envelope ballot. do other people get as excited to vote as i do? and i vote in steve-the-corpse's riding, so imagine if i lived somewhere that i felt my vote counted?! the excitement might be too much to handle.

my ultra long trip back to lancaster was actually rather bearable and i managed to sleep everywhere i went. my sleeping is still messed up but i am using it to my advantage to get course work done in the middle of the night.

i had forgotten how nice it is to sit and chat with the girls in my flat while we all made dinner in the kitchen. i think that makes it feel more like home and allows me to forget for a second what an amazing 3 weeks i left behind this time i left calgary.

having two homes is a rather strange experience, especially when one of the is so temporary. i am feeling rather pressured to figure out what i want to do when i grow up, but i suppose that is to be expected and i can't complain because i do thrive on that kind of excitement.

sad news, my plant penelope is on her death bed. i am giving her one more day to perk up, but with 4 leaves and no flowers left, i think i will plan her funeral. which would include throwing her into the garbage and going to buy that african violet i have had my eye on! i feel a little guilty, but i am sure that will pass.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I do get excited for voting too, I have voted like a good citizen each time I have had the chance during an election. I think we can slowly start to make Canada better than it already is.
I have two homes too. What can I say? Two are better than one! I hope to see your second home one day soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lala
Well this maybe a little MS (martha stewarts) of me but if you pick one leaf off of the african violet (stem and all) and put it in water... it will grow roots and then you can pot it and gorw it without buying it! Actually considering you are not goign to be there for a long time... maybe my suggestion is not valid... anyways miss you tons! Smooks

lu said...

smooks, i always knew you were a martha deep down! now just don't do anything illegal and have to go to jail and wear an ankle bracelet. but i did once hear the woman say "hairy balls" on her show, so i have come to appreciate her a little more. missing you too.